The answer to this question largely depends on the species of snake in question. Generally, there are several types of snakes that are described as being “pink,” including the venomous rattlesnake and copperhead. In both cases, however, these snakes are considered to be comparatively harmless to humans.

There are a few cases where pink snakes have been known to bite humans, but it is generally very rare for them to do so. One notable exception is the cottonmouth or water moccasin, which can deliver a very dangerous bite. It’s important to keep in mind that not all “pink” snakes are poisonous – many nonvenomous varieties can also cause discomfort simply through their appearance.

Let’s take a closer look…

There are many poisonous lizards in California, but the three most common ones are the Gila Monster, copperhead snake and cottonmouth. The Gila Monster is a small to medium-sized lizard that can grow to be over two feet long. It has a green or brown body with dark blotches and spikes along its back. The copperhead snake is a large member of the colubrid family and can average 12 to 18 inches in length, including its tail. It has a reddish-brown skin with black bands around its neck and eyes. The cottonmouth is one of the most venomous snakes in North America, with up to 2,000 megajoules of venom per bite (the equivalent of an elephant!). It has greenish-white skin with some black markings on its head and body. All three of these reptiles present risk for human poisonings if bitten:

The Gila Monster may cause severe brain swelling if it bites someone;
the copperhead snake can inject deadly neurotoxins into people if it bites them; while the cottonmouth can cause respiratory paralysis from total or partial envenomation (bite).


Worth knowing

There are no poisonous snakes in Fiji.


Worth knowing

There is no need to be alarmed if you find a gopher snake in your backyard. Gopher snakes are inactive during the summer and will avoid humans if possible. Although gopher snakes have been known to bite humans, theirbite is not particularly dangerous.


Worth knowing

Is a corn snake poisonous?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the toxicity of a particular snake may vary depending on its size, age, and diet. However, in general, corn snakes are considered nontoxic to humans. While they do have venom capable of inducing mild to moderate symptoms in adult humans if bitten (including pain, swollen lymph nodes, nausea/vomiting, and headaches), fatalities from corn snake bites are extremely rare. In fact, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), only 2 confirmed deaths have been attributed to corn snakes globally over the past century!

Thank your for reading!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.